Education - Literacy Studies (Reading/Language Arts Emphasis)
Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Become A Literacy Leader
Grand Valley State University's Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Literacy Studies offers options for full- and part-time degree-seeking and endorsement-seeking candidates in the following areas:
- Elementary and Secondary Reading Programs: For teachers interested in facilitating student learning through effective literacy practices.
- K-12 Reading Specialist Program: For teachers interested in literacy coaching and administration/supervision of district-wide reading/language arts programs.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Program: For those interested in transforming the lives of students and speakers of other languages through the teaching of English.
Locations Across Michigan And Beyond
- Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids campus
- Grand Valley State University Detroit Center
- Fully online
• Faculty with Pre-K through high school classroom experience • Instruction focused on school contexts • Flexible course offerings including hybrid and online options • Vibrant learning community • Nationally accredited • Meaningful coursework in topics such as: - Comprehension instruction - Children and adolescent literature - Curriculum design - Writing instruction - Literacy in the disciplines - Literacy coaching - Twenty-first century literacy skills - Teaching second-language learners - Language acquisition theory and practice - Interdisciplinary approaches to teaching
For More Information
College of Education
“My coursework has directly impacted my teaching philosophy and classroom practice. The professors have an obvious passion for literacy and are progressive in their methods and ideas. They have given me a plethora of ideas and experiences that have shaped me into a more thoughtful and effective educator.”
8th Grade English teacher, Ionia Middle School