Laker for a Lifetime Type Treatment
Please review the information below about using the Laker for a Lifetime type treatment in a correct and consistent manner.
Determine If You May Use Treatment
May I Use the Laker for a Lifetime Type Treatment?
Yes, if you are a faculty or staff member, an individual student, a registered student organization, or a university department
and you are using the type treatment on communications materials for signature activities and events specifically for current students that incorporate any of the following guiding principles of the initiative:
- Create awareness (early in a student’s career at GVSU)
- Create a culture of engagement and philanthropy by making incoming students aware of Grand Valley’s history and mission, core values, how GVSU is funded, and its traditions.
- Help students understand how philanthropy changes lives.
- Encourage student investment of time, talent, and financial resources.
- Develop gratitude (building throughout a student’s career at GVSU)
- Create and promote traditions and rituals that honor the student, honor Grand Valley, and encourage affinity and character development.
- Foster Laker pride by building a sense of community within Grand Valley.
- Cultivate a culture of giving (building throughout a student’s career at GVSU and beyond)
- Foster inclination and willingness of students to give their time, talent, and financial resources.
- Educate students about why they should give back and begin to encourage the behavior of giving.
Type Treatment Components
Complete Type Treatment
The Laker for a Lifetime type treatment consists of two distinct graphic elements:
- Laker for a Lifetime wordmark
- Single-line version of the Grand Valley State University logo
The Laker for a Lifetime wordmark may not be used alone, altered in any way, or used as part of a logo or design. It must always appear as part of the complete Laker for a Lifetime type treatment that also includes the single-line version of the Grand Valley logo.
The single-line version of the Grand Valley logo (logomark and logotype) may be used without the Laker for a Lifetime wordmark only when the markleft or marktop versions of the Grand Valley logo do not work in a design or space is otherwise severely limited (such as on pens, etc.). The same usage rules apply to the single-line version of the logo as the marktop or markleft logos. To review standards and download a logo, visit the Grand Valley Logo section of this website.
Type Treatment Colors
The Laker for a Lifetime type treatment uses Grand Valley's official colors: Blue, black, and white.
OR: CMYK: 100-45-0-26
OR: RGB: R 0 G 101 B 164
OR: Hexadecimal (Web): #0065a4
The type treatment MUST be one of the following:
- Blue and white ("for a lifetime" must appear or print in white)
- Black and white ("for a lifetime" must appear or print in white)
- Blue, black, and white ("for a lifetime" must appear or print in white)
- White and black ("for a lifetime" must appear or print in black) for a dark paper or background
- Blue with transparent background for use on white or light colored background or paper
- Black with transparent background for use on white or light colored background or paper
- Blue and black with transparent background for use on white or light colored background or paper
- White for a dark paper or background
Type Treatment Display
The Laker for a Lifetime type treatment should be clearly and prominently displayed on the front of each communications piece on which it is used.
Although the type treatment can be resized it should not be distorted or altered. The type treatment should not be placed where a hole-punch or binding may interfere with it.
The Laker for a Lifetime type treatment may not be used as part of a sentence.
Using the Type Treatment With a Non-Grand Valley Logo
Because it includes an approved version of the university logo, the Laker for a Lifetime type treatment fulfills the university logo usage requirements outlined in the Grand Valley Logo section of this website and no other Grand Valley logo is necessary on the piece.
When using the Laker for a Lifetime type treatment in conjunction with a non-Grand Valley logo, please call Institutional Marketing for consultation at (616) 331-2525.
Type Treatment Dimensions
The type treatment (which consists of the wordmark plus the single-line Grand Valley logo) MUST measure at least 1.25 inches wide. Always provide space around the type treatment, free of typography, graphics, or other distracting elements.
Do not change the proportions or otherwise distort the type treatment.