GVSU events celebrate Hispanic heritage
Posted on September 14, 2017
Grand Valley State University's annual Hispanic Heritage Celebration will feature guest lecturers, spoken word poetry, dancing and celebratory cultural events.
The events, organized by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, take place in conjunction with National Hispanic Heritage Month. All events are free and open to the public.
Event highlights are below; learn more at www.gvsu.edu/oma.
- Why (Y)our History Matters: The Latino Experience in the Midwest: Wednesday, September 20, from 3-4:15 p.m., 2204 Kirkhof Center
Lilia Fernández, a specialist in 20th century Latino history, will give a lecture. Her book, Brown in the Windy City: Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in Postwar Chicago, is the first to document the history of Latino populations in the city after World War II.
- Professionals of Color Lecture Series - Hispanics: More Than Statistics: Wednesday, September 27, from 1-2:30 p.m., 2250 Kirkhof Center
Antonia Coello Novello, a native of Puerto Rico, is executive director of public health policy for Florida Hospital. In 1990, she was sworn in as the 14th Surgeon General of the U.S. Public Health Service; she was the first woman and first Hispanic American to hold the position.
- Spoken Word with Denice Frohman: Thursday, October 5, from 4-5:15 p.m., Cook-DeWitt Center
Denice Frohman is an award-winning poet, writer, performer and educator. Her poetry focuses on social change.
- Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead): Wednesday, November 1, from 6-7 p.m., Niemeyer Honors Building Lobby
Dia de los Muertos is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and by the people of Mexican ancestry living in other places, like the U.S. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember those who have died.
- Sabado Gigante (Dinner and Dance): Friday, November 3, from 8 p.m.-midnight, 2250 Kirkhof Center
The event, hosted by the Latino Student Union, will replicate Sabado Gigante, a game show well known in the Latino community. The evening will include entertainment and prizes.