Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Earth Science prepares students to teach in the secondary grades. Michigan teacher certification also requires completion of the College of Education professional program and a minor area of study.
We provide a broad and rigorous curriculum, including field, laboratory, and classroom experiences with an emphasis on inquiry instruction to best prepare our majors to be effective teachers. A minor is also offered. Visit gvsu.edu/geology for details.
The program consists of coursework in the geosciences, physics, chemistry, and mathematics. Some required courses include:
- Earth history
- Earth science in secondary education
- Weather and climate
Most Earth Science B.S. graduates pursue careers in secondary education. We recommend that students choose a minor in biology or one of the other sciences. Students that take the extra coursework needed to obtain an integrated science secondary endorsement are most successful in starting their teaching careers in Michigan. Demand for Earth science graduates is high across the country. Careers may also be found in environmental remediation and water resources.
Why Study Earth Science at Grand Valley?
In addition to knowledgeable, accomplished faculty members, the Geology department provides an excellent learning community and invaluable learning experiences outside the classroom.
- Students often take part in field studies and educational research where they can apply their Earth science knowledge in real-world situations.
- Individually mentored educational, curriculum, or geologic research opportunities are available to our undergraduate students that are rare in other educational programs and at other universities.
- Our students frequently attend and/or present their work at national, state, or regional professional meetings.
- The Geology Club meets regularly and organizes events such as on-campus speakers, field experiences, and attendance at local, regional, and national conferences.
“The Earth science program is not only the most comprehensive program of study I've participated in, but also the most well-rounded. I came into the program knowing very little about Earth science, but due to the active, hands-on, and engaging nature of the program, I emerged from the program as a person ready to enlighten others in the field.”
EARTH SCIENCE ALUMNUS CREATIVE TECHNOLOGIES ACADEMY